3D Technologies for Cell Phones
There are currently a very large number of 3D TVs as well as 3D PC monitors in households and this number is expected to continue growing rapidly in the upcoming years. However, there is currently very limited 3D content available for consumers to enjoy.
In the past few years several manufacturers introduced 3D-smartphones with dual-sensors and auto-stereoscopic 3D screens. These phones have not been very successful due to the high costs associated with the extra sensor and specialized 3D display.
The premise of 3DMedia's technology is to solve the problem of 3D content generation by enabling smartphone makers to quickly introduce cost-effective featured smartphones with standard screens that support advanced imaging capabilities, including 3D. Using such featured smartphones, consumers can not only capture and create their own 3D photos and videos, but they can enhance 2D photography with additional features. We believe that this technology will be one of the key enablers for the proliferation and adoption of 3D content in the consumer market.
Although 3DMedia’s Trimago smartphone application based on the ViewFusion 1C technology provides a good value, it has two limitations: the first is that it does not support 3D video, and the second is that it cannot create 3D photos when objects in the scene move since it requires two pictures to be taken at different times. Our ViewFusion 1.5C technology removes both these limitations and supports both 3D video and 3D photos with moving objects.
ViewFusion 1.5C utilizes the main sensor and very small /inexpensive auxiliary sensor to create 3D instead of the classic dual-sensor approach. With ViewFusion 1.5C smartphone manufacturers can design high-quality 3D products at prices consumers can afford. Examples of how this technology can be embedded in various types of smartphone and tablet bodies are shown below:
ViewFusion 1.5C utilizes image data from the main and auxiliary sensors to create a new secondary image that has better quality than the original. The ViewFusion Creation operation is then applied to the main and adjusted secondary image to create a 3D photo. In addition, ViewFusion 1.5C technology with the auxiliary sensor can augment the functionality of the phone by facilitating other 2D functions:
1. The auxiliary sensor can be used to capture a photo at a different exposure than the main sensor to generate a High-Dynamic-Range (HDR) photo
2. The auxiliary sensor can be used to implement motion de-blurring when capturing a 2D photo
3. The auxiliary sensor can assist in implementing better motion-stabilization
3DMedia's Technology Advantages
· Manufacturers can design smartphones supporting both 3D video and 3D still photos without significantly increasing the Bill Of Materials
· Smartphones with ViewFusion 1.5C can be marketed not as 3D phones, but as featured smartphones with 3D support along with other 2D functions, such as HDR, stabilization, de-blurring, etc.